Saturday, February 9, 2008

I can't believe it's already Saturday!

Just wanted to post a quick update. Feeling pretty good this way. I managed just to take Ibuprofen yesterday for pain and weaned off the pain killers. Feeling this morning like I wish I hadn't, but I am going to stay the course with the lesser drugs (pain killers really can stop things up, and that's the last thing I need!). I've noticed a good bit of external bruising now on my pelvic area, just within the last day or two-that has made it difficult to wear most of the pants in my wardrobe, aside from the sweats. Not that I've been out of my PJ's in the past few days. Think I can wear sweats to work? Haha. I had a HORRIBLE headache the day after and into Friday a bit-Dr. thought it could be from the anaesthesia. That finally resolved, as did the remaining CO2 from the procedure. Everything seems to be going well, and the healing process is definitely under way. I am going to try to get out of the house some today-maybe a Target trip or something. I need to do more walking around than I have been.

I spoke with the Dr. Thursday morning. He said that the surgery was definitely "productive", much more than I think he was expecting. He drained my cysts, the left one was just a "simple cyst", and not related to the other, which was definitely an endometrioma. I'm not quite clear why he didn't take the cysts out, and just drained-I'm not sure if there is a difference (?). I was a bit groggy still to fully grasp everything. Like I had been told, the endometriosis he found was pretty severe, and "everywhere". It was attaching to my colon and all sorts of fun stuff. They used a lot of antibiotics during the surgery, and used some saline rinse to clean out things-I thought that was pretty interesting. He said that my GI issues as of late definitely could have been related to all that was going on inside. Everything was pretty inflamed, and he scraped a good bit of scarring and endometriosis tissue out. A lot of it was "fresh" too, which, might be a good thing prognosis wise. My fallopian tubes were a bit inflamed, but hadn't been invaded yet with the endo-that's a good thing!!!

From all I know they stage endometriosis based on how far spread it is, and how "fresh" or not it is. We didn't really get into all the details about my specific diagnosis, I think he wants me to concentrate on healing. I'll go back to him on the 20th of this month for follow-up, and he said we would discuss treatment options at that time. He's recommended some websites and readings for me to research endo and become more familiar with it all. Pretty nervous, but I know there are some pretty effective treatments out there-it might be a game of trial and error, but hopefully we'll be on the right course with that soon. For more information on endometriosis click here

I've gotten some really pretty flowers and wonderful "get well" cards, emails and phone calls. Thank you everyone!!! :)

Oh, saw this on the news the other night. At this website, you can go and vote on a hospital to receive a "fun" center. All the hospitals have already received 1, but the hospital with the most votes will receive an additional unit! The fun centers are mobile plasma, DVD player and video game systems that can roll up to children's beside to provide hours of entertainment. VERY cool!!! Levine Children's Hospital here in Charlotte in is the running. :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Glad you're feeling better!