Monday, September 14, 2009

Little scare

Last night we had a little scare with the baby. I went to use the restroom and ended up passing a very large clot, and started bleeding afterward. It was a very scary thing...to go from perfectly fine to such an experience. I hadn't been feeling all that great all day; I guess it was my body telling me something was up. We called our reproductive endocrinologist (since I haven't gone to the OB yet) and ours was on call. She is so unbelievably calm-it's wonderful! She called us back and got me in this morning at 9 for an ultrasound. She assured me over the phone that what I had passed was NOT the baby because of the description I gave, which was a relief for me; and that bleeding didn't mean a miscarriage necessarily. Calming words, but, it was hard to swallow fully.

We got there this morning and the staff was their usual caring selves. Wes and I were just beside ourselves with anxiety. The RE came in for the ultrasound and everything looks great with the baby! What a relief!!! He or she is measuring a few days ahead of schedule actually (9 weeks, 1 day) and the heart beat was music to our ears. However, for whatever reason, there is a blood clot sitting behind or near the gestational sac. Apparently part of it broke up last night and that's what we had experienced. She said that I should expect to pass more of it based on the size, and that my body may re-absorb the rest of it. Something we'll need to keep an eye on. Everything else was par for the course and she had no reason to suspect a miscarriage at this point. She said she couldn't predict the future, but, that things were okay for now and to try to relax as much as possible.

I'm under some restrictions and came home to rest after the appointment today. I'm supposed to "take it easy" until my OB apt next week, and, we know some things to be on the look out for. I haven't been feeling the best today-I guess my body is just adapting to everything going on in there. It's so strange how that all works. You definitely have to listen and obey your body during this process! So, for now I'm going to be lounging a lot.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the baby did a little dance for us this morning. :) The RE said she had never seen movement so early before...and thought maybe it was my tummy moving around. I'm pretty sure I was still holding my breath at that point from the suspense of it all, but, who knows. Weston did get to see the flicker of the heart this time; which was very amazing to see. The baby looks so different from the last time too! I'll have to scan the picture in later. For now, it's back to resting. Dr.'s orders!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Positive thinking and REST!!! :)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, what a relief!! i was so worried for you!

Hailey Arthur said...

So glad all is ok! Definitely take it easy and at least you will not be surprised if it happens again since they have warned you. Take care of yourself and pat your belly for us! :-)

erin said...

glad everything is ok. definitely praying. keep resting. it's not everyday you can do that:)