I have heard about these from my SIL and friends...and I'm finally going to try one...THIS WEEK! I think this is going to be a our breakfast Sat AM. I'll need a new blender if I really get into this. But hey, I'll take the extra energy and healthy benefits they boast! I know they look a little funny, but, I really have only heard wonderful things...I'll let you know how it goes.
I got the following suggestions from the Happy Foody Blog. Another tasty site is Green Smoothie Girl.
Happy Foody Says:
All you need is a blender. Add the ingredients, and add water to the thickness you want (usually about 2 cups)….and blend until REALLY smooth. I know you’ll be amazed at how yummy these are…but if you need it sweeter, just up the quantity of fruit.
Here are a few smoothie recipes to get you started:
Mango-parsley
2 large mangos
1 bunch parsley
Water
Peach-spinach
6 peaches
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water
Mango-weeds
2 mangos
1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc
Water
Strawberry-banana-romaine
1-cup strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 bunch romaine
Water
Apple-kale-lemon
4 apples
1/2 lemon juice
4-5 leaves of kale
Water
Kiwi-banana-celery
4 very ripe kiwis
1 ripe banana
3 stalks of celery
Water
Pear-kale-mint
4 ripe pears
4-5 leaves of kale
1/2 bunch of mint
Water
Finger banana-spinach
10 finger-bananas
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
Water
Bosc pear-raspberry-kale
3 bosc pears
1 handful of raspberries
4-5 leaves of kale
Water
2 weeks ago

2 comments:
I'm still a little iffy on the green smoothies. Rae threw me off in the fall with those cookies with carrots in them. But I do have a smoothie tip. When my fruit starts to get soft or bananas start to get where I won't eat them. I peel them, cut off skin, leaves, etc and freeze them for smoothies. That way the fruit doesn't just get thrown away. I've done that with strawberries, bananas, peaches and nectarines. Haven't tried it with apples or grapes, but I don't see why it would work, although I don't want to peel the grapes and don't know if I want the skin in my smoothie. Good luck and let me know how they taste!
Try it, Ali! I didn't use water in mine, but I did use a dollop of plain yogurt. Let me know if your blender can handle apples; I'm kind of scared to try anything that tough. for me, a scant handful of blueberries and two chunky fistfuls of lettuce, along with that yogurt, tasted pretty darn good.
Post a Comment